Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Nude Food's Got a New Kitchen




Wow, it’s been a long time. Not only was I a.w.o.l. during the holiday season (overseas again), but I was incommunicado for a length of time beforehand. This I blame on moving. Yep, we finally said adios to the University District and heeell-o to Capitol Hill. Not only do we finally have some peace and quiet (not many drunk 19 year olds partying at 4am on a Tuesday in this neck of the woods), but NudeFood scored a new kitchen!

And I’m in love.

It’s super spacious with a gas stove-containing island that was made for entertaining. It has built-in spice racks, a marble-topped work surface, track lighting and lots of windows. And did I mention a gas range?! Agghhhhh!

There is, however, one point of contention. The oven is the old-school sort with a teeny, tiny little broiler drawer in the bottom. As the New York Times so aptly pointed out, the broiler is under appreciated by most people, an unsung hero of sorts. For years it was my preferred method for making toast, steaks, baked eggs (that one's gonna hurt) and fish. Well, they say change is good so I’ll embrace this as a chance to perfect the pan-sear-then-finish-off-in-the-oven-steak and, well, probably buy a toaster. It’s all good.

Needless to say, I’m thrilled to be back. All boxes have been unpacked, all items have found a home, and all suitcases have been tucked away in the basement. So be on the lookout for lots of (non-broiler) recipes coming out of NudeFood’s new cucina in 2010. I think it will be a splendid year.

1 comment:

Eric Swanson said...

Kate,

Congratulations on moving into the new kitchen. I don't know when we will get to see it in person, but we're looking forward to more recipes & food narratives.

The next thing you need is a camera to take a hi-res picture that will look good in full screen size................

Eric