Sunday, June 7, 2009

French Baked Eggs


If you want to get my goat, tell me that you have egg substitute in your refrigerator. Just writing it makes me shake my head in despair. Why on earth would anyone choose colored, preserved egg whites from a carton over nature's most perfect food? Are we that obsessed with cholesterol points? Have we forgotten that mother nature is a crafty engineer and put some lecithin in the yolks to neutralize the cholesterol?

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box.

But I do love eggs. They would easily make it on my list of top 5 edible must-haves on a deserted island (along with greens, cheese, garlic and bread). Fluffy scrambled, buttery fried, poached with oozing yolks...


Today is Sunday, and Sundays are perfect for making leisurely breakfasts.
Since I had a bit of cream left over from Thursday's panna cotta, I immediately thought of French baked eggs. They're easy as pie to make, plus they look and taste luxurious. A drizzle of cream, a notch of butter, some fresh herbs and garlic and you've got yourself one of Sunday's finest.

French Baked Eggs
Serve with buttered toast and fresh fruit.
Serves 2

2 cloves garlic
Handful of fresh herbs (I like chives and parsley)

2 teaspoons butter
4 teaspoons cream
4 eggs
Salt and pepper

Preheat broiler on high and place oven rack 6 inches below heat source.

Mince garlic and herbs; toss together.

Place two individual gratin dishes on a baking sheet. Drizzle 2 teaspoons cream and place 1 teaspoon butter into each. Place under broiler for 2 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Carefully sprinkle half the garlic herb mixture over the bottom of gratin dishes. Return to broiler for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Crack 2 eggs into each dish, being careful not to break the yolks; sprinkle with remaining garlic herb mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Return to broiler and cook for about 5 minutes or until whites are firm and yolks are soft. Serve hot with buttered toast.


1 comment:

Patricia said...

Love the egg rant! I agree!